My photos on Flickr
Society of Penny’s Cartooned Friends
Stuff I’ve already done
So after my big whinge on Monday, I can report that I got a response from the nice people at Apple within about three hours of me sending the email. This is good, considering they said it could take up to 72 hours to respond. So that was a good start. However, it all goes downhill from there.
Here is what I sent Apple, bearing in mind you have to fill in a form saying what operating system you’re using, which web browser, etc:
Customer First Name : Tracey
Customer Last Name : *****
email : **************************
Web Order # :
Support Subject : MobileMe Mail
Sub Issue : Other Mail questions
Comments : See Additional Info Below
Alternate Email Address: *********************
OS version: Mac OS X 10.5.5
Browser version: Firefox 3.x
Internet connection type: DSL
How email is checked: Both
Email application: Mac OS X Mail
Specific request: I have another email question
I want to complain generally about the MobileMe service. Too many times when I am using the Webmail service it tells me that I cannot access messages in my inbox because the folder has been deleted or moved, or I cannot even login to begin with. My .mac mail seems to work fine in Mac OS X Mail but the web service is appalling. When is Apple going to address this unsatisfactory service? I expect a lot more.
Here is what the very nice man at Apple replied to me with. Note the complete lack of regard for the information I had sent in my email:
My name is John and I’ll be assisting you today. I’m sorry to hear that you are experiencing difficulties with MobileMe Mail while using Safari.
To resolve this issue, try these things:
1. Click “logout” in the upper-right corner. Then, enter your MobileMe member name and password and click Log In. Click the Mail button if necessary.
2. If logging out and back in didn’t fix the issue, quit and reopen Safari. Then log in to MobileMe Mail again.
3. If the issue persists, empty your browser cache by choosing Empty Cache from the Safari menu. Then try using MobileMe Mail again.
If none of the above steps resolves the issue, please reply to this email and answer the following questions:
1. What version of Mac OS X are you using? (Choose About This Mac from the Apple menu.)
2. What version of Safari are you using? (Choose About Safari from the Safari menu.)
3. What other troubleshooting steps have you tried?
4. How did you encounter this issue? Please give a step-by-step description.
5. What error message did you receive? Please provide the exact text of the message, if possible.
I don’t remember mentioning Safari at all. Perhaps Apple does not realise that people use other browsers when using a non-mac computer (ie a PC, which is what I have at work, and where I am having issues). And just for the record, I have tried using Safari for windows, and I’m getting the same problems.
I’m still formulating my response.