A day in the life

Last week I was all inspired and scheduled three posts here.  Since I wrote the last one – about 10 days ago – (aside from the actual conversation filler) I haven’t had much inspiration.  My life is reasonably regular and nothing THAT exciting happens.  If you don’t count the numerous scratches Teddy gives me, or the astounded looks the boy and I give each other after one of the cats has done a psycho run from the back door to the front of the house and then up the stairs (with a road-runner cartoon like screeching u-turn at the bottom of the stairs).

With that in mind, I thought I’d give you a rundown of how my not-very-exciting day goes, in a typical week.

6.20am Alarm goes off, I hit snooze.

6.29am Alarm goes off again, I get up.

6.53am Having washed me and my hair, I wander into the other bathroom and do the “beauty routine” – eye cream, facial moisturiser, hair stuff, body moisturiser, deodorant.

7.00am Let Teddy out of his room, which is also my wardrobe, and spend five minutes wondering what to wear to work.

7.05am Get dressed, remove Teddy from the bottom of the cupboard, yell as he bites my foot, go into bedroom to put on earrings and ring.  Collect iPhone which doubles as alarm, put in wardrobe along with whatever shoes I decide to wear that day.

7.08am Dry hair. Curse the fringe I am growing out.

7.15am Go downstairs, prepare breakfast for the boy and for me.  Open kitchen and living room blinds.

7.30am Depart for work.  The boy drives to work and drops me off along the way.

8.00am Arrive at work, turn on computer, turn over day calendar, make cup of tea. Work on stuff.

10.00am Time for another cup of tea.  More work.

12.00pm Lunchtime.  Visit cafe downstairs, be unimpressed with selection and have sushi again.  Spend time on interwebs reading blogs etc.

1.00pm More work on stuff.

2.00pm Eat yoghurt.  Then do more work.

3.00pm Last cup of tea for the day.  Work.

4.00pm Boss comes out of her office and tells me it’s time to go home.  Pack up and head to the tram stop, where I am either able to get on a tram within a minute, or am forced to wait 20 minutes for no particular reason.

4.50pm  Arrive home to joyous greeting from cats.  Remind Huffle it is not yet dinnertime.  Change into trackies!

5.00pm Either fold up washing, or settle on couch and watch Trinny and Susannah.  Then the news.

6.30pm The boy arrives home, discussion about the day, decision on what to have for dinner.

7.00pm Cook dinner, eat.  The boy does the dishes.

8.00pm Watch TV, play on computer, watch in amazement as cat does psycho run, laugh about stuff.  Wish there was more interesting stuff on TV.

10.30pm Turn off lights, wait for the boy to play laser dot with Huffle, go upstairs and brush teeth, take migraine medication, flop into bed.

11.00pm Stare menacingly at boy who is fast asleep and snoring his head off.  Contemplate smothering with a pillow.  Fall asleep.

Other exciting things happen on an irregular basis, but that’s pretty much how my weekdays go.  Occasionally I mix things up and have peaches instead of yoghurt.  I can tell you’re jealous.


6 responses to “A day in the life

  1. Debstar May 11, 2011 at 2:57 pm

    Tracey, I was all ready to go see Paul yesterday but it doesn’t start until 1.30pm, and that just didn’t suit. Looks like it is on it’s way out already. Might have to wait for the DVD.

    Have you tried acupuncture for the migraines. I know a lady who swears by it, so I figure it might be worth a try.

  2. Barb @iPhoneographi May 12, 2011 at 3:10 am

    Move bedtime and wake up time back about 3 hours and make it coffee and we could be twins! Except I have trouble staying awake, not falling asleep.

    And I don’t have a wardrobe. At least, I don’t think I do.

    Oh, and I work from home. 😀

    But other than that…

  3. Denise May 12, 2011 at 6:38 pm

    Yes, I am envious, believe me! In common our days have the yoghurt and a spare room serving as wardrobe (I love it!) – ah, and of course shower, beauty routine, but not at that time! Other than that, i would love to have the job I loved so much, which I left when coming to Europe for further studies. I always always think of that – I really loved it. Soon I hope I can be with someone important deciding what to have for dinner, after work. I think this is lovely! I did like your day!

  4. Shmoo May 13, 2011 at 5:20 am

    I now feel compelled to write my daily routine… which I can cut and paste from yours with some minor tweaks.

  5. Valerie May 13, 2011 at 11:33 am

    I have always wondered why the snooze is 9 minutes instead of a nice round number like 10. I now know it is also that way in Australia.

  6. Kate May 15, 2011 at 10:49 am

    I find this so interesting…a peek inside other’s days. It makes me love you a whole lot more…let me tell you why. From the time you get up to the time you leave it is 1 hour–so even though you are beautiful and girly (I can tell these things even without pictures) you don’t wake up at 4 or 5 to spend 2-3 hours to get ready. This tells me we could be very good friends!

    I just ran across I blog I like to read and she did a post on her frigde. I thought this was so interesting…would also love to see inside your fridge! I think I’m going to try and get that done sometimes soon.

%d bloggers like this: